Table Tennis for All
By "very" popular request, we will be holding the next Hardbat tournament on Saturday June 5th. Please see the flyer for further details.
Due to the popularity of these tournaments an early reply by email will be required to guarantee your place in the draw. Alternatively, an email to let Fred know you will not be playing will be helpful.
By Fred Dove
I would like to thank all those who played in this tournament, and I trust you all had a great days table tennis.
Special thanks to Nicola Walsh for running the computer system, Sharon and Lucy for running the canteen, Glenn Johnson as referee, Derek Balding, Kevin James and Tony West for helping set up, and Neil Brierley for his assistance in putting on this event.
Results are available.
Also the latest "World Ranking List" for those interested.
This list is based on a players performance whilst playing in "ELITE" series of Hardbat competition only.
New players taking part in their first hardbat competition are given a dummy ranking.
For this reason, No wins or loss adjustments have been awarded to these players.
Minor adjustments have been made to results in Hardbat 2 (W/L Adj) as it was decided that until a player had earned a ranking, no extra points for wins and losses should be awarded.
Best regards to everyone, and hope to see you all again for the next competition in June.
- Chairman’s Introduction
- Apologies for absence
- Treasurer’s report
- Coaching structure and presentation
- Details of committee & vacancies
- Membership scheme
- Election of Officers
- Any Other Business
Just confirming that BATTS will be open for practice as usual today (Monday) from 7pm -10pm.
On another matter, one of our fellow table tennis players is looking for lodgings in the area. If you want more details please be in touch.
The BATTS AGM will be held at the Norman Booth Centre on Tuesday 18th May at 7.45pm. It will be a friendly occasion with tea and coffee flowing freely.
We would like the best attendance possible since we will be putting forward a formal constitution and a membership scheme, to try and set the club up on a sound footing. These are exciting times for BATTS, with a new junior coaching scheme, and the club busier than ever. Your input would be really valuable, and everyone will have an equal vote in deciding how we proceed. If you enjoy BATTS, please come along!
It will help Neil to have an idea if you will be attending so he can send you the agenda, constitution and membership proposals nearer the time. So please notify him if you are intending to come.
BATTS is in the process of modernising the club structure, and will start up a new coaching structure for next season (2010-2011). There will be a meeting on 11th May to discuss the changes. You will be welcome from 7.30pm for a drink. The meeting will start at 7.45 and should end at around 9.30.
Progressing towards a modern club
To strengthen the club and provide a better service to the BATTS members, we are in the process of making some changes.
• A membership structure started for juniors on the 1st February 2010. For adults the membership will start at the beginning of the season 2010-2011.
• The BATTS website (www.batts.org.uk) was launched
• Since the new coach has been in post, regular coaching sessions have started. The next step will be to expand the coaching sessions.
It was a repeat of the previous final with Ryan Jenkins overcoming Gareth Herbert over 5 tough games. Gareth maintains his game at an extraordinarily high level despite his lack of competitive play. Other highlights included a good run to the quarter final by Eli Baraty defeating Euan Liddle on route and a great tournament by Ashley Stokes beating Zak Zilesnick in the quarters and putting up a terrific fight against Gareth in the semis. Tony West will be delighted to have finished 10th and Trevor Kerry on his debut grabbed 13th spot. Among other debutants, Jojo Senorin finished 17th, Lee Morgan 19th and Joshua Jenkins 22nd.
Great to see 6 ladies in the event which is probably a record. They more than held there own and Lauren Spink finished 15th, Charlotte Carey 16th, Chloe Thomas 18th and Evie Collier 23rd.
Forgive the short notice but just to let you know BATTS table tennis club will be open for practice on Friday 2nd April and Monday 5th April from 7pm as usual. A few other notes:
- Next Tuesday 6th April Harlow Council have organised a fun table tennis afternoon at BATTS from 1.30-4.30. Two separate groups of children from 1.30-3pm and 3-4.30pm . Around 40 children in total so Aad would really appreciate any help. If you can just help with one session that would be great.
- For around 12 years now BATTS has helped at a disability schools table tennis day in Luton. This year it is on Tuesday 15th June. I take care of transport and volunteers are rewarded with a superb buffet at the end. There are 5 table tennis tables so we ideally look for 5 helpers. Please let us know if you are available.
- Commonwealth Gold Medallist Gareth Herbert is running training camps at BATTS on 22/23 May and 12/13 June open to children and adults of all standards. Let us know if you would like more details.
- Under 15s have just got time to enter the BATTS Cadet 1 star open on Sunday April 18th if they let us know by Monday April 5th.
The March SuperLeague was won by Ryan Jenkins. Please see the full SuperLeague results
This Friday evening is SUPERLEAGUE with many of the top players in the country taking part. So no club night on Friday but a chance to come and watch, free of charge, some of the best players in the land battle for £300 prize money. Starts 7.30pm. It would really help if all spectators would agree to umpire a couple of games and please let me know if you are willing to do this.
We have a new coach in Aad Kwakkelstein who is making a big impression on the club. So please let me know if you want details of all the coaching sessions available. In conjunction with this we are taking a look at a membership scheme to provide fairer charges for all and a new constitution. An announcement of the AGM and more details to follow soon.
It would be nice to have some general interest magazines in the social area (dentist style) so don't throw out your old copies but give them to the club instead !
The Harlow League season is coming to a close but we plan to continue with table tennis practice nights every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 7pm.